In 1882 the new Canadian Pacific Railway Company moved its eastern Ontario machine shop operations from Brockville and Prescott to Carleton Place. Railway car shops were built here and employed up to 200 men.
14 Argyle Street's own Thomas Burgess worked for the CPR.
When we moved here 13 years ago, trains still went by our window several times a day and we would pause our conversations until the whistle had stopped blowing! No point in trying to be heard!
A year ago (or is it two??) the trains stopped, the rails started getting rusty, and now there is talk of pulling up the tracks. Sad.