Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Washing Windows

I've been washing windows this morning. The three new (ugly) vinyl windows are a breeze to wash - they slide and flip and do all sorts of contortions. They are nice and squeaky clean now. The old, original windows are impossible to clean properly. None are painted shut anymore, but some only open a few inches. The aluminum storms/screens are screwed right to the frames on the outside, and I've never taken them off. So, in order to clean between the windows, it's me who slides and flips and does all sorts of contortions. Not pretty, and the windows are pretty streaky too! Oh well, they'll do, and it's brighter in here now!

Some other Carleton Place windows:





The second story of a main street store. These have aluminum on the outside too. See how they couldn't be bothered to build the top curve into the new windows? Sad. Bet these are streaky too...


This is a neat old building on the main street that's right on the river. It has a door at water level, that was used for deliveries by boat long ago. I'll get a photo next time I'm over there....


Our town hall clock tower...



Our town hall again. This stained glass window is in the Council Chamber Room.


This is my dentist's office. The building used to be the Bank of Nova Scotia, and this would have been a door originally. Dr Ellis just replaced all the original windows and doors in the building. I tried to talk him out of it!!! He saved me one though....

2 comments:

Sadie Says said...

I need to do windows too--but I don't like the contortions that go along with it. Pain or beauty... it's the age old women's quandry...

Love the idea of a water level door for boat deliveries. Hope you show us that picture soon.

windywoowoo said...

my windows are filthy...can't clean the outside because they are too high up..! love the pics..these would all make a very nice book..

Followers